Start With The Leaves
In September 2011, Heritage Bushcare published Start with the Leaves: A simple guide to common orchids and lilies of the Adelaide Hills by Robert Lawrence.
This book is for anyone interested in orchids from the complete novice, who would like to know about plants, to landholders, and bushwalkers through to bush-carers and professionals completing biological surveys.
The book features:
- 50 orchids seen in the Adelaide Hills, most of them common
- Lilies, bulbs and some weeds which can be confused with orchids
- Eight easy to see categories of leaves indicated by a distinctive icon
- Coloured pages for each leaf category
- Photographs in natural settings showing the variations within each species
- A life-size representation of each flower
- Check list for identifying other orchids (the same principles of identification can be used for other plants)
- Northern Lofty
- Yorke Peninsula – 27 of the 50 orchids featured
- Kangaroo Island – 36 of the 50 orchids featured
- South East – 42 of the 50 orchids featured
- western region of Victoria – 41 of the 50 orchids featured
The retail price for Start With The Leaves is $34.95. If purchased from the author, postage and handling is $5.50 (Prices are in Australian dollars).
Start With The Leaves can be purchased directly from Heritage Bushcare via the Contact Us page.
As well as being available direct from the author, Start With The Leaves is available from:
- North – Barossa, Gawler & Clare
- Gawler Bookshop, Willaston
- Ravens Parlour Bookshop, Tanunda
- Gawler Natural Resource Centre
- Medika Gallery, Blyth
- Adelaide Hills
- State Flora, Belair National Park
- Matilda’s Books, Stirling
- Fleurieu Peninsula
- Normanville Natural Resource Centre
- Willunga Environment Centre, Willunga
- Adelaide & Suburbs
- Dymocks Adelaide
- Booked at North Adelaide
- Adelaide Booksellers, Adelaide
- SA Museum Shop, Adelaide
- Friends of the Adelaide Botanic Gardens, Adelaide
- Trees For Life
- South East
- Collins Booksellers, Mt Gambier
- Kangaroo Island
- Kingscote Gift Shop
- Andrew Isles, http://www.andrewisles.com/
On the link below is a sample of what is in Start With The Leaves.
Since the book has been on sale, many people have asked about who was the publisher/printer. We self published the book and used Richmond Press as our printer. We wanted a local printer who was sympathetic to the local flora which was the case with Tim Robson as he is a member of one of the local land care groups. Another factor in our choice was being able to vet the colours in the proofs.